Thursday, July 06, 2006

Stepping Heavenward: One Woman's Journey to Godliness


I really enjoy reading! Most of the time I wish I had more time to read... and every now and then, I simply forsake almost all other duties and submerge myself in a book. Well that's what happened with this book (sorry Wes & girls). It's a "journal" of a Christian woman who is very much like the character of Joe from Little Women. I really loved seeing the heart of someone struggling with her sin nature and seeking to deepen her personal relationship with Christ. And though I am very different from the character, many times I felt like the thoughts were taken from my own journal (if I kept one). In case you don't get a chance to read the book for yourself, I'll leave you with the most poignant quote from the book:
"Do you always submit to God's will thus?"
"In great things I do," I said. "What grieves me is that I am constantly forgetting to recognize God's hand in the little, everyday trials of life, and instead of receiving them as from Him, find fault with the instruments by which He sends them."

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I love that you read! I love it too! Thank you for your recomendation! and for sharing the quote! i love your recommendations, melissa! i'm in the process of reading some other books you recommended and love them! on "mission of motherhood" right now....=)

Anonymous said...

wow! That is convicting! I LOVE Little Women. Thanks for posting.