Monday, June 11, 2007

Pride

As you may have noticed from my last post, the Lord is really making me deal with the root of all my sins: Pride. Embarassing to admit, and not new news to me, my pride is horrendous, offensive & very much alive. My personality (tend to be a listener, kinda quiet, fairly nice) makes it SO easy to hide. Well, I don't want to hide anymore. I want to be changed in the depths of my heart to be like Christ - the humble Servant. Not fearing men, but fearing God. Pray for me!

Along with the Bible, here are some things that I've been reading on the subject:
The Glorious Pursuit: Embracing the Virtues of Christ by Gary Thomas
Humility by Andrew Murray
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Humilty: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (chapter called The Great Sin)
When People are Big and God is Small by Edward T. Welch

as well as listening (or reading) to:
John Piper's sermons on Humility

If you have any other recommendations, PLEASE share!!!
Thanks,
Melissa

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank you for couragiously sharing! I understand! Jenny and I are reading Humility in a discipleship group...and just got done reading When People are big and god is small"...so i'm right there with you, sister! love you! Was praying for you guys today...will pray specifically for that. love yoU!

Unknown said...

Hey Melissa...thanks for the encouragement to read what is a basic all to often misunderstood and ignored by the church. I love at the end of Chapter 2 when Andrew Murray suggest to study Jesus' humility. May we become imitators of HIM! Love you and miss you!
Jenny

Spirit of Adoption said...

ugh....pride. Me and you both, sister.....sobering, isn't it?! The Lord is so kind to allow us to walk through these sins with His grace, forgiveness, and love sanctifying us along the way!!! A hard, but sweet gift, to grow in His likeness.

I just found your blog again!! : )

thanks for sharing....praying right now for ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,
Saw you were looking at my blog. Thanks for stopping by.

I am right there with you and more so, I am sure! I loved the book When People are Big and God is Small. It was a big help. I have to agree with Shawnda about His grace. And I really liked studying through the gospels and the life of Christ to see "how" He lived among us. I am so thankful for His example. Thanks for sharing your heart!

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Melissa, I didn't know you had a blog. I love this entry...I too am learning about the root of my sin...I selfish and small minded. I am readin Lord Foulgrins Letters, which is much like Screwtape Letters. It is helping me to see things in a greater perspective. To see the that there is more then me...But most importantly that my choices aren't small and inconsequential. Have you ever read Heaven? Chris and I are about to start reading it as our family stdy guide...it is a bible study of what the bible says about Heaven.
I have a new blog now about some big things happening in our life...
http://fosteringrohloffs.blogspot.com/
Talk to you later
Steph

melissa said...

thanks for all of your encouraging comments and recommendations. it's so sweet and merciful that He has given us a continual supply of Hope- thank you Jesus!!!! it's been huge for me to recognize that pride isn't a thing you just deal with and move on, but it will be a battle that we will all fight, in its many many forms, for the rest of our lives this side of eternity, unless we get comfortable and lie down!

love you all!